Birkdale Primary School Council!
Our School Council Representatives are such an important part of our school community and, each year, they contribute to the continual development and improvement of our school.
They are responsible for the following key areas:
Here are all the members of our School Council for the school year 2021-22!
1R – Lexi Ruddock
1C – Raferty Bateman
2P – Diasy Stoker
2C – Tobias Owens
3G – Georgia Robinson
3S – Liam Rigby
4M – Abbie Briscoe
4C – Vanessa Hornby
5M – Maya Nelson
5S – Sonny Popplewell
6JS – Luke Hill
6P – Rachel Grice
Chair – Alfie Ellis
Vice Chair – Sophie Mawdsley
There are lots of plans to keep our School Council busy this year so please do keep checking back here to see what they have been up to!
Our Plans for 2021-22
Our first meeting of the school year was to decide on some focus events for the SLP to support this year. We were asked to think of:
1) our own school-based event
2) a local community fundraiser
3) a charity event to benefit the wider world.
These are the ideas we came up with:
For our school:
- a 'Birkdale Bake Off' to raise money for our school grounds
- have some nice murals painted in the playground and around the school
- grown and keep plants and flowers in each classroom to help us connect to nature more
- develop more school-clubs that are not for sports
For our community:
- a local litter-picking walk
- a beach clean event
- 'bring a parent to school' day
- make cards for our local NHS staff, thanking them for what they have done for us
- 'Bring a keyworker to school' day to celebrate them
For the wider world:
- Raise money for Christian Aid
- sponsor a child in another country that needs help with things for school
- Collect donations for shelters that support refugees
- make some shoeboxes for the Christmas shoebox appeal
The SLP will be letting us know which ideas received the most votes soon!
Southport Town Deal
We were asked to take part in the proposals for the new 'Town Deal'! Southport are going to be awarded a big sum of money to make improvements to the area and we were asked to share some of our ideas for how the money should be spent! Our School Council representatives watched the video explaining what the Town Deal was all about and shared some initial ideas. Councillors then went back to their classes and shared what was happening with their teachers and classmates and collected in more ideas! We then came back together as a School Council to see what our most popular ideas were as a school and sent them off with a note to the children of Southport in 30 years time!
You can read more about Southport's Town Deal by following the link below:
We then got a letter back from the Chair of the Town Deal thanking us for all of our ideas and giving us some more information about the decisions that have been made so far!
Our Southport Member of Parliament, Damien Moore, came to visit Birkdale Primary and sat in on one of our energetic Star of the Week assemblies!
He then did a really informative Q and A with our School Council about what it was like to be an MP and sit in the Houses of Parliament, no matter what your political party may be.
Our School Council came up with some great questions (Mr Moore really liked the question 'Are you allowed to sit with your best friend in Parliament meetings?'!) and it was fascinating learning about how someone can help to lead change in our community as well as what it is like to work in our capital city! Mr Moore talked about his passion for improving the green spaces around Southport, particularly cleaning up parks like the Botanic Gardens which he believes will help children and adults with their wellbeing.